"Portland Society was established 1714 as Middletown East or Third Society by division of the First Society. Part set off as part of Haddam Neck Society May 1739. Part set off as East Hampton Society May 1746. Part of Middletown including this society was incorporated October 1767 as Chatham, this becoming the First Society. Part of Chatham including this Society was incorporated May 1841 as Portland. The name of the Society was formally changed May 1844 from Chatham to Portland. The Society dissolved in 1923, transferring its property to the First Congregational Church of Portland, Connecticut."